- How did you start CrossFit?
I started back in 2010 when I lived in New York. I could only go 1 or 2 times per week as I worked 6 days a week. My wife started shortly before that and encouraged me to go.
- What are some of your hobbies outside of the gym? Has CrossFit helped with them?
CrossFit has helped tremendously for refereeing high school soccer and lacrosse. Last lacrosse season, I had a terrible plantar fasciitis in one of my feet. I went to a foot surgeon who told me I needed surgery for bone spurs but decided to give it some time before making any hasty decisions. Ultimately I decided to do CrossFit instead :). To say my recent season was a success would be an understatement. I just finished with minimal pain after a 52 game season.
- Tell us about your life and your family.
I lived my whole life in New York until I moved here 2 years ago. I was a meat cutter for 37 years , and I am married to my high school sweetheart Debbie. I have a son and daughter-in-law with 2 grandchildren in Denver, Colorado. I also have a daughter and son-in-law (Crystal & Jared) who CrossFit as well. They’ve given me 3 grandchildren here in Holliston, hence the move to Massachusetts.
- What is your favorite part about CrossFit and CrossFit Firewall?
The Coaches, the camaraderie, and the hard work.
- What piece of advice would you give to someone on the outside looking in, thinking about trying out a CrossFit gym?
It’s not as hard as you might think: there is no judgement. The coaches are always there to personally modify the workout no matter what your age or ability, and of course, it is fun.
- Which class do you go to the most and what if your favorite part about it?
The 9am. I like all the people, the familiarity is nice, and everybody is constantly encouraging each other.
- What was your dream job as a kid? Did you achieve it?
New York State Police. No I did not become one but my wife says at least I got the hair right 😉