1. When did you first come to Firewall and why?
March 2017 – soon after it opened. My other gym was closing and this opened up right across the street!
2. How does it feel to be the first Bootcamper to receive Athlete of the Month?
Too many emotions to pick just one – honored, humbled, amazed, amused – you name it, I’m feelin’ it.
3. What is your favorite part about CrossFit Firewall?
Those farm fresh eggs….and the people – everyone is encouraging regardless of ability and fitness level!
4. You just completed your first marathon (Boston) this past spring, tell us about your experience and would you do another one?
Running a marathon is one of the most mentally challenging things I’ve done in my life. The physical part was hard too, but to stay focused on running for 4+ hours messed with the mind. Looking back, it was an awesome experience and I absolutely would do it again – hopefully with better weather!
5. Do you feel the Bootcamp classes have helped you in anyway outside of the gym?
Absolutely – My energy levels are up, which is essential with three kids at home and a very demanding job. Getting up for the 5:30a.m. classes really jump-starts my day and keeps me on track!
6. What is your greatest accomplishment from a health standpoint since starting at Firewall?
Just before Firewall, I lost 20+ pounds. Firewall helped me lose another 10+ pounds, while also adding muscle. The intense workouts make it easy to keep the weight off! I’m also proud of completing my first Marathon, which would not have been possible without the Firewall training.
7. What is your favorite type of workout?
I’m a big fan of the kettlebells, wall walks, and any workout that gets Bucky pumping to the music!
8. What would you tell someone who was interested in trying out a Bootcamp class?
If they say there’s a “rest” during the workout they really mean “transition”
9. What was the last movie you watched? How was it?
Whitey: United States of America v. James J. Bulger (2014) – CNN Documentary
It was fascinating – Boston was (and maybe still is) such a corrupt place! And all the current trendy places to live (Somerville, Southie, North End) were such messed up places not that long ago (90s, 00s) – and the FBI was enabling this stuff!
10. Who was your childhood celebrity crush?
So many to name – Kelly Kapowski, Topanga Lawrence, Winnie Cooper, Olivia Newton John (Let’s Get Physical!)…the list goes on.
11. Where have you been outside of the U.S. and where else would you like to go in the future?
Yes – I love to travel. Been mostly to Europe – Iceland (amazing!), Belgium, Netherlands, France, England (studied in Leeds during college), Ireland, Scotland, Germany, Czech Rep., Hungry, Austria…
Spots in Canada are awesome too (though not sure that counts as outside the U.S.) – Vancouver B.C., Quebec City, Montreal….
And some trips to warmer climates – Caribbean & Mexico
Where else would I like to go?
I’d first hop on a motorcycle to cross the Scottish Highlands. This would be followed by a trip to the Mediterranean (Morocco, Barcelona, Marseille, Rome, Istanbul (not Constantinople)) for the amazing food, cultures, history, and beaches. To cool off, I’d hit the slopes in the Alps for some skiing. And to wrap up the trip, I’d follow the Grand Slam Tennis circuit around the globe (Melbourne, Roland Garros, Wimbledon, & NYC).