Congratulations to George for earning the spot as Firewall’s November 2018 Athlete of the Month! George is the definition of no excuses, hard work, and dedication. Check out the Q&A we did with him below to find out more about him!
- How long have you been CrossFitting for? How long have you been working out in general for?
I started CrossFit in March of 2017. I started working out again as an adult in 2014.
- What is your favorite part about CrossFit Firewall?
As far as the workout, I really enjoy different workouts every day, and the combo of strength and cardio. I don’t look at the workouts ahead of time, so I’m surprised every day when I come in. I also really enjoy the social aspect during the class, and the friendships that have cultivated through the class.
- What do you do for work? How long have you been with you company?
I’m the president of a medium sized construction company. I’ve been with the company in this and a similar position since 1999. I also worked for the company as a high schooler and college student from 1987 through 1993. I was a laborer, carpenter, and estimator during that time.
- Where did you grow up? Where do you live now?
I grew up in Holliston. I’ve lived in Northboro for the last 20 years with my wife and 3 kids.
- What piece of advice would you give someone who might be looking to give CrossFit a shot?
Give it a shot. For the first couple of months, be patient with the corrections during the workout, and be patient building up your cardio. I thought I was in decent shape when I started CrossFit, only to find myself frustrated with my lack of cardio. You learn what your body can do and push yourself from there. Don’t push yourself based on what the best CrossFitter in your class is doing. Also, keep working on the movements you’re bad at. I’m not very good on the bars, but I’ve gotten a lot better from when I first started.
- What is your favorite part about the 6:30am class?
I’m assuming that you’re referring to the 6:38am class that I attend! The camaraderie with Tim Grinder (captain of the 6:30am class), the rest of the class, and Alex and Dave is also something I really enjoy. I enjoy giving Dave a hard time about his calves and talking Celtics with Alex. I look at it as my part of the day to blow off some steam, break a sweat, and have some fun.
7. What have you seen improve inside the gym the most since joining Firewall whether it be body composition, form on a certain movement, lung capacity, etc.? Outside the gym?
Cardio has been my biggest improvement since starting. I find myself sleeping better when I work out, and my stress level keeps pretty low.
- If you could take your family anywhere in the world for a 2-week vacation, where would it be?
I would love to go on a diving vacation when my kids get a little older. I love the ocean and beach.
- What’s your favorite quote?
Probably “Do it right the first time”. There’s always a right way to do anything, and chances are you’re going to need to fix whatever you take a shortcut on. I know I drive my kids crazy with that one!