Congratulations Patty on earning October Member of the Month!! Your relentless pursuit to stay fit is absolutely contagious. Many members have been inspired by you. Be sure to check out Patty’s Q&A with us below!
1. How did you find Firewall?
Sarah of course!
2. How long have you been at Firewall?
Almost since the beginning…will be 3 years before I know it.
3. Tell us about yourself and your family!
My husbands name is Rory and we have 2 daughters, Kiley (14) and Molly (13) and 2 dogs. We have lived in Holliston since 2003. I work at Miller in the special education room. Life is pretty crazy as anyone with teenagers will say!
4. What’s your favorite part about Firewall?
The coaches and the people. Everyone pushes and encourages each other and there is a real sense of community. The coaches truly care about each of us and want us to be our best. We work hard but have lots of laughs too. My husband says it’s a cult 😉
5. What’s your favorite part about CrossFit?
I love that it’s something different every day. I’m constantly pushed to my limits and want to do more and do better. The coaches always listen and want you to succeed. Of course, a lot of days my old body can’t keep up with my mental age! But I certainly give it my best.
6. How has working out inside the gym effected your life outside the gym?
So many ways. I have a rare auto immune disease and I’m determined to fight it and beat the odds. I can’t control many aspects of the disease, but I can control my fitness and diet. Some days are harder than others but I’m always glad I worked out. It helps me physically and mentally and I hope it will even slow down the progression of scleroderma.
7. What piece of advice would you give to someone who is thinking about joining a CrossFit gym?
Do it! It’s not scary like people think! There are people of all different abilities and ages. It is not intimidating at all! Just try it and then you can see for yourself.
8. Before joining, what were your thoughts on CrossFit?
I guess I thought it was something I wouldn’t be able to do. I have always played sports, run marathons, worked out, but Crossfit was so different, it did seem intimidating.
9. What do you consider your greatest accomplishment to be at Firewall?
Hmmm. Not sure but when I can keep up with one of the young, super fit, it makes me feel pretty good. Turning 49 soon so yes, a lot of you seem very young!
10. Is cereal soup? Please explain.
I don’t eat cereal and I don’t like milk so I’m going to say N/A!
11. If you were stranded on a deserted island, what 3 objects would you bring with you? (You can’t do people)
Anyone who knows me would definitely say wine! I would also bring books and my running shoes. And yes, I would have to be dressed in warm clothes!